Monday, July 13, 2009

More Than Just the Journey

It is both terrifying and wonderful to be where God has called you to go. I have learned this a few times in my life already. The best years of my life have been the hardest. The hardest decisions to make have produced the greatest rewards. The things I (and my husband and I) have chosen to do that have raised the most eyebrows are the things that have changed our lives.

This trip is no exception.

From the moment I started considering going on this trip, I have replaced one fear with another. God has been faithful to speak to each one, and I have been hard-headed enough to keep asking questions and latching onto doubts. Because, really, the way God ultimately deals with me and a particular fear is to remind me that I might be right. That thing I'm worried about just might happen. : ) But worrying about it doesn't do an ounce of good. It's as if He's saying..."Sure, your plane might crash. Yes, being away from your kids and husband will probably cast a very sad shadow over the whole trip. And absolutely, you might come across a few people in Iraq who aren't super excited to see you. But do you know in your heart that I have called you to go anyway?" Yes. "Then go."

So, here I am. The goodbyes before I left were AWFUL. But only three out of fifteen hours of flying were turbulent (and by turbulent I mean that I was shaking uncontrollably and begging for my life in prayer, and most of you would have said you didn't feel a thing). And those people that were making me very nervous by staring at us while we waited to board the last flight to Iraq ended up laughing with us before we ever stepped foot on the plane. As did the man I sat by on the plane who I first thought seemed rather grumpy.

And yesterday, I realized that this trip would indeed be about more than just the journey. Yesterday I met Serhan ( a 12-year-old boy) and his family. They had been anxiously awaiting Leigh's arrival after meeting her on her last trip. They were SO excited to see her. Our cultural differences jumped out at me right away. Kissing, sitting on a rug, communicating through a translator, incredible hospitality from Serhan's mom and a consistent straight face from his dad, and four young boys sitting quietly off to the side. But after a couple of hours, things looked completely different. Serhan and his brother were playing and laughing and trying just as hard to learn our numbers as we were trying to learn theirs. Serhan's mom and Leigh had lamented together over the unfairness of going to great lengths searching for treatment for a dying son only to find out there's nothing that can be done...and then they had both gotten involved in the game and were laughing and playing just like the kids. And even Serhan's dad was laughing as Leigh and I tried to keep score in Kurdish, usually butchering it badly. : ) I had even gotten to have a conversation with Serhan's mom about adoption after she commented on my pictures of our family...she wanted to know why Jude looked different (more attractive, as it turns out!) than the rest of us...and do we treat him like family? : ) When we left, God had confirmed through experience what He had whispered to my heart as I confessed my fears the night before...ALL people are created in His likeness. No matter how many differences we may seem to have physically, behaviorally, or culturally...deep inside we are all the same. Whether culturally "appropriate" or not, laughter makes us laugh, being loved makes us happy, feeling approved of builds our confidence, and a person who loves our kids is instantly a friend. And those things that make us different just contribute to an even greater likeness of God. He didn't create Americans in His likeness. He created PEOPLE in His likeness. When you put us all together, we look a whole lot more like Him than any of us ever could on our own.

Serhan will die soon. I'd like to join Leigh in asking you to pray for him, and for his family. And although fundraising is quite possibly the last of my spiritual gifts, check out that PLC link to the right if you feel led to do so. Serhan can't be helped simply because he has lived with his heart condition for too long. It's too late for him, unless God chooses to heal him without surgery. But surgery would probably have been successful earlier in his life when he should have received it. More money helps more kids get surgeries while they're still young enough to benefit from them.

Since meeting Serhan, I have also experienced Home Group and met another little boy, Aria, and his family. For those who know me, Home Group took me back to my Doulos days. I LOVED it. It is so wonderful to see a group of college students (PLC interns) living in community with the PLC workers. It will change their lives. And Aria...well, I really don't think I've EVER met a happier child. Or felt so welcomed into a home. George was with me for that visit. Maybe I can get him to blog about it... : )

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post. It deserves multiple readings. I am so proud of you for going. Anyone who could possibly say otherwise, just doesn't get it.
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Jen! I loved it and like 'T' I had to read it several times. I saw R and the kids at church yesterday and everyone is doing awesome. I am thankful you made the trip and cannot wait to hear more stories. Soak it up:-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife is still praying for and thinking about you daily. Her Bible study prayed for you this morning, as I am sure they basically feel like they know you and Leigh from her accurate descriptions. We cannot wait to hear stories when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your fears and revelations. We continue to pray for you and the group daily.

    ReplyDelete