Friday, July 24, 2009

One thing I brought back

No, this post is not about the illness I brought back with me. I'll spare you those details! :)


I always knew our trip to Iraq would be a positive experience for me. We went to visit our best friends in the whole world-- how could it not be great? And we went with a great group of people from our home church that we were going to get to share this opportunity with. I knew we would all grow closer together during this time. And boy was it great! So great, I wasn't ready to leave on Sunday morning.

But there were some things I didn't anticipate bringing back with me.

In the past, when I would read the PLC blog about kids they were sending or kids who had been to surgery, I would quickly send up a short prayer or praise and go on with my day. But since our trip, on which I got to meet, face-to-face, many of these sweet, precious children and young adults, my outlook, connection, and prayers have changed.

I am connected to the children and their families and to PLC. I have a connection there now that I could have never gained without GOING THERE.

With this new set of four kids going to surgery in Turkey, I have almost obsessively checked the PLC blog and each child's individual twitter feed to find out updates. I have spent more than a minute praying for the children and their families. I have had my stomach turned upside-down and felt tears roll down my cheeks asking the LORD to heal them and bring their families into knowledge and belief of the Truth of Jesus Christ, so that they may have eternal hope.

I know this is the reason JR and I were able to go on this trip. I was not ready to come home, and I will certainly jump at the chance to go again-- to be with my best friends in a place where I have seen God perform miracles and know He will continue to do so.

Thank you Lord for making this connection in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Chels! I am so thankful that PLC is doing such a great job of updating us on the surgery kids. Have you seen Ben's pictures today?!? Amazing. See you tomorrow. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... not going to lie: I cried as I read this.

    it was a joy to have you here, but probably a greater sort of joy to hear that it mattered so much.

    I'm glad you feel connected... we've worked hard to humanize these people that, previously, were just "Iraqis" on the news.

    We love you guys!

    JandJ

    ReplyDelete